Menu
Chateau Pavie Decesse Saint Emilion 2012  - Last Bottle

Chateau Pavie Decesse Saint Emilion 2012

“This is one of the superstars of the vintage...a connoisseurs dream…” -- Robert Parker


What a way to wake up on a Saturday!! Wow! World-class Grand Cru St. Emilion anyone?? With 95+ points and the same owners and winemaker as the we-can't-count-how-many-times-it-got-100-points Chateau Pavie? At the best price anyone anywhere has ever seen? Wow! We got the Bordeaux today, oh yes...but only a handful of cases!


Pavie-Decesse is Chateau Pavie’s tiny next-door neighbor in St. Emilion. While Chateau Pavie will easily run you $300-$500, it’s often the case that Pavie-Decesse is as sexy and plush as its older brother and such a joy to drink (and cellar for up to 10 years or so) that we bought as much as we could the moment we got the call (sadly, very little). Astounding deal.


A HUGE no-brainer for special occasion drinking and celebrating, as this is EVERYTHING you'd expect from Bordeaux at this level. Waves of aromas coming in right off the bat -- ultra-concentrated creme de cassis, blackberry liqueur, allspice, milk chocolate, licorice, crushed rock and woodsmoke....fantastic. Even for a baby like this, the tannins are polished, the texture is luxurious, rich and long, and the finish of this goes on forever, it seems. Will age a decade with ease, probably more!! A beautiful, classy wine at a price that is just unbeatable. BUT MOVE FAST! We will probably sell out in hours or less....!



The vineyard, well exposed to the wind is accordingly planted with 90% Merlot, the other 10% being Cabernet Franc. All of these factors give birth to a wine that is rich and full, fleshy and complex, possessing and attractive tannic structure and an excellent capacity to improve with age - typical characteristics of wines from plateau.

Technical Details

Country: France
Region: Bordeaux
Appellation: Saint-Emilion Grand Cru
Varietal: 90% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc
Aging/Cooperage: Fermented in 3 wooden temperature-controlled vats to keep different lots of wine separate in order to fine tune the final blend. The wine stays on the skins for 3 weeks. Malolactic fermentation in barrel. Pavie-Decesse is fermented in new oak barrels for 18 to 24 months with racking every 3 months. Final blending takes place just before bottling, without fining or filtering.
Alcohol: 14

About The Producer

At the end of the World War I, Ferdinand Bouffard was forced to sell the vineyard to a M. Marzelle, under whose ownership Pavie-Decesse earned the title of Granc Cru Classé in the 1954 Saint-Emilion classification. In 1970, Marzelle passed away and the Valette family, who already owned Château Pavie, took over the direction of this neighboring property before finally buying it outright in 1990. And in 1997, Gérard Perse acquired Château Pavie-Decesse.

Pavie-Decesse, whose 3.5 hectares were detached from Pavie in 1885, is unusual in that it is entirely located on the Saint-Emilion limestone plateau. All these different factors produce rich, full-bodied wine. Pavie-Decesse is also quite complex with good tannic structure and excellent ageing potential, typical of the finest wines from the Saint-Emilion plateau. Wine is made there with the same care as at Pavie, on which it borders, and with which it shares a very similar terroir.

Your daily purveyor of fine wines.

We’re wine drinkers, collectors, and part of the global wine trade. Mostly, we are totally stoked to bring you incredible juice at the best prices we can possibly obtain, every day.
Sign Up for FREE

Don’t miss out on up to 70% off great wines. Sign up now